Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ghent, Belgium


What a beautiful, inspiring city to see...I loved it, would recommend visiting it and would like to go back.  It is a no car city centrum so you do not need to worry about looking out for a cars and only an occasional bicyclist.  Walking through the small streets, looking at the architecture and listening to the bells chime – yes, it is one of those European villages that you see on TV.



Dave and I left Amsterdam early Saturday morning and drove to Ghent – about a 2 hour drive.  Dave had asked for early check-in at the Marriott and so we were able to put our bags in our room when we got there and tend to a few personal things after the drive.  J  I have to say we did not have the best weather – very windy, cloudy and cool – but we didn’t mind it at all.  Dave had visited Ghent on a previous trip and knew I would be totally awestruck by the quaintness, beauty and history surrounding this village.  We ventured out and began walking through the streets.



 
















The first place we decided to explore was the Sint-Baafskathedraal translated St. Bavo's Cathedral which, to me, was as amazing as Notre Dame in Paris and is also the home of the 24-panel altarpiece titled The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb painted by the brothers Hubert and Jan van Eyck.  I enjoyed viewing the altarpiece but the ornamentation in this cathedral was absolutely beautiful and then going down into the crypt where there were original frescos still on the arched ceilings captivated me.  The history is fascinating where the original structure on the site was a wooden church dedicated to St. John in 942.  It was replaced by a Romanesque church in 1038 which parts have survived in the crypt.  Construction on the new Gothic church began in the early 14th century and continued for about two hundred years.  I could have walked around in there for a much longer time but there were other places to see!




 

















After the cathedral Dave and I stopped to have a sandwich and some delicious cauliflower soup.  We then went to the Gravensteen Castle translated to Castle of the Counts.  If you have never been in a castle and have only seen them in movies, like me, oh my goodness, what an experience!  More amazement for me!  The Gravensteen was constructed around 1177-1178 by Fillips of Alsasse who was count of Flanders.  I just loved going through each of the rooms and up the spiral staircases.  They also had weapons, torture equipment and a guillotine on display – what a barbaric time.  Movies make it look so romantic but when you see these things in person and also realize that in the dead of winter that castle was not so warm – you then can only visualize and imagine what that life must have been like.  We live in a very cushy and spoiled life – and we complain when the dishwasher doesn’t work or the cable went out!  I’ve decided we are a bunch of whiners!  How much more so we should be thankful each day for how blessed we are.


Dinner Restaurant
We then did some more walking around the village but darkness and the wind and cold were getting to be a little much so we headed back to the hotel room to rest for a bit.  After our rest, we went to a restaurant just across the canal from our hotel.  Dave had eaten at it before on a business trip and knew that I would enjoy it.  We had not made a reservation but they were able to put us at one of the bar's high-top tables which was still delightful.  And can I just say YUM!  The best sea bass and risotto topped with an arugula salad I have ever eaten.  My husband knows me well. 



















After dinner Dave wanted to check out this tiny bar that he and some the guys had been to and show it to me.  Belgium and Holland are both known for their liquor called Jenever – I’ve been told it’s the same as Gin but it sure doesn’t taste like the Gin we have in the states.  The man that owns this little bar makes his own Jenever in many flavors and that is all he serves so Dave asked him what he would recommend for an after-dinner aperitif.  He brought us a small glass of his 14 year old Jenever that he makes.  Now I am not a big drinker but I must say this was tasty in a small dose.  However, while sitting there more and more people were coming in and ordering what looked like a creamy, tan colored Jenever.  So I asked Dave if he would find out what it was – he brought me back a glass (all are served in a shot glass size) – it was this gentleman’s homemade Belgian Chocolate Jenever.  Can I say it was the best dessert I’ve ever had.

If that wasn’t enough, we had dessert waiting for us in our hotel room also.  On our walk around the village we came across a place called Julie’s House which had a window full of homemade cakes, tarts and sweets – we purchased a couple of pieces – Tiramisu and a Flourless Chocolate Tart – no need to explain the taste!  We went to bed very full!



The following morning we took another walk to get our last little view of the village.  This is when Dave recorded the bells ringing that some of you probably heard on our Facebook pages.  After checking out of the hotel we drove over to a little town called Sint Denijs Westrem about 20 minutes away to the home of one Taylor’s new employees.  We had an absolutely delightful time with Frank and his family enjoying homemade pumpkin soup with crusty bread and cheese and just getting to know each other better.  A wonderful ending to a wonderful weekend adventure.


Belgian Work Horses


3 comments:

  1. The posts just keep getting better and better! This place is amazing and the pictures you took with the dialogue you wrote made me feel as if I were there! I would love to visit this part of the world- the history and the architecture, the food,the absolute beauty...just incredible. I really appreciate your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. The buildings there do look like they are out of a movie, just beautiful. I love the tour that you give from the writing & pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna come, I wanna come!

    ReplyDelete