Friday, July 1, 2011

Oh my I have a lot to write about - here's a snippet...

I have been home almost five weeks and haven’t written since a couple weeks before I left Amsterdam.  First I have to say I am very glad to be home but I am really missing the wonderful friends that I made in Amsterdam…and I really don’t know when or if I will get to see them again.  So if any of you read this, if you ever come to San Diego, you better look me up!

The week before I left my friends threw me a fabulous going away party.  We started the day with a High Tea that was absolutely amazing.  The food, the tea and the company was marvelous!  There were 10 of us that went to the tea enjoying homemade goodies – two kinds of quiche, scones with delicious spreads and clotted cream, a variety of finger sandwiches, cakes and cookies to die for…along with several kinds of tea.  No wonder I came home weighing about 15 pounds heavier than when I got to Amsterdam!  After the tea we all got on the tram and headed up near Leidseplein to have a quick drink before boarding a canal boat for a cruise.  We all went into one of the most popular lounge/restaurants – Momo – hoping to be able to enjoy a drink before the cruise.  We were cutting it close with only about 20 minutes – so with only one bartender some of the girls ordered glasses of wine while the bartender worked as quickly as he could to make a few of their specialty mixed drinks for the rest of us.  After our quick drink we walked just across the street to board the boat for our cruise.  By this time 5 other friends were able to join us.  While on the boat we had a great time reminiscing and watching the canal view go by.  After our hour long cruise some of the women weren’t ready to go home yet so we headed to Leidseplein for a drink, coffee, snack – whatever you were hungry for.  We spent another couple of hours just enjoying each other’s company.  It was an afternoon and evening I will never forget and thanks to Cristina doing her “sun dance” we had the most fantastic weather to enjoy it all.

My flight home was uneventful, thankfully.  I got home late on Sunday, May 29th.  Now coming home to your house you have not lived in for 8 months gives you a very odd feeling.  My son stayed in our home while we were gone and we told him to make it home for himself since we weren’t really sure how long we would be gone.  He didn’t move most of our furnishings but we did clean out one of the bedrooms so he had somewhere to set up a bedroom for himself.  He was able to find a new apartment before we came home so coming home to an empty room and things stored here and there I dug in Monday morning moving things around and setting up the house back to our likes.  Believe it or not I’m still not done.  Living in Amsterdam in a very small apartment makes you come home, look around and say…what the heck do I have all this junk for?  I didn’t need it the past 8 months!  Kind of like when you look in your closet and realize you have several outfits you haven’t worn for years?  Why am I saving this?  Anyway, Dave and I are kind of in a purge and clean mode.  Also, getting some household repairs done that have been needed for a while.

Since coming home we have spent a lot of time with our grandson, Joaquin.  Last Sunday we, Joaquin, Dave and I, took off with our Airstream in tow and headed to Joel and Tiffany’s in Victorville.  Yeah, the wonderful world of the high desert country of California – heat, wind, sandstorms, strip malls and track homes!  But we had a great time visiting with our two granddaughters and that’s what counts.  Then Wednesday morning we headed to Zion National Park to a family resort we found a couple years ago with lots of fun activities for kids.  We brought Joaquin to this same resort about 3 years ago and he asked his poppi if we could come again so here we are.  We have had fun horseback riding, playing putt-putt, climbing wall, ATVs and lots of swimming!  Tomorrow morning (Saturday) we are going to head home the opposite direction that we came and make a short stop at the Grand Canyon and then head towards home.  It’s been fun trip but I am anxious to get home to continue working on household projects, visit friends in San Diego, set up my felting area so I can start being creative again and of course how could I forget – go back to my job!

Hugs to all my friends out there.

P.S.  I will post photos when I get home and have better internet connection.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you caught us up on your "back to reality" phase of life. Of course, this even sounds wonderful to me. The trip out to visit your daughter and grandkids must have been so much fun. Good to hear from you again- you must continue your writing, as it is excellent and I have really enjoyed it. love, Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that you are continuing with your blog now that your stateside again. Spending time in Europe really does change perspective on things doesn't it. I feel the same as you when it comes to the friends I have made over there. I always feel such sadness when it's time to say goodbye as I never know when I will see them again.

    ReplyDelete