Monday, October 11, 2010

End of the First Week

The weekend is over and it's the end of our first week here – it was a pretty low-key weekend which was OK by both Dave and me.  Dave will be extremely busy in these coming weeks and we are still trying to adjust to the time change and the cold!  Luckily, Amsterdam has had a mild autumn but to us “thin-blooded” San Diegans, it’s a bit chilly!  However, no rain yet, which I hear, is very unusual.  Actually when you are in the sun it is very warm and pleasant but walk on one of the shady streets and brrrr!  I have been told to get ready because it will get much colder than this.  Dave has found the thermostat so I am a happy woman.

Saturday night was quiet and we ate dinner at the apartment.  After dinner we were able to Skype with Rachel and Joaquin; and Joel and his family.  We gave each family a tour of the apartment which they all thoroughly enjoyed.  A little later we went out for a coffee and it was a very nice evening.  One of Dave’s Holland friends stopped by and had a cup with us also.

Sunday morning we got up and moved very slowly.  We had some breakfast, washed some clothes (still not sure if I’m using the right cycle!!!), organized a few more things and headed out the door for the Expat Fair.  Very small in comparison to “Fairs” and “Expos” in the states but I was glad we went.  I found a booth for the American Women’s Club of Amsterdam!  Yeah!  Americans that have lived here for years and will be a great resource for me in helping with the ins and outs of Amsterdam.  They have multiple activities going on throughout each month from coffee get-togethers to evening wine get-togethers – book groups to cooking classes.  I am planning on going to a Newcomers Coffee on Thursday morning.  The other day on my walk I found a do-it-yourself ceramic shop not too far from the house, so that might be a fun thing to do, too.  After the Expat Fair we walked over to a little café and had a bite to eat, then got on a tram and headed for home.  Dave has a couple DVDs of a New Zealand TV show that he enjoyed watching (not my kind of humor) and I am enjoying a wonderful book – Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls.  She is the author of her autobiography, The Glass Castle, one of my all-time favorite books.

This morning we ventured out to find the Staples Office Center only to find out that you must be a registered business with the Chamber of Commerce before you are allowed to purchase anything.  Fortunately, Dave explained to them that the business is set up with the Chamber and he just doesn’t have the paperwork done for a Staples “chipcard,” as they call it.  We were able to purchase a few items that he needs right away and will go back when all the other paperwork is taken care of.  When we got back, I made us some lunch, Dave headed out to take care of a few other business items and I worked on receipts and paperwork for him to hand into his work.  So, I get to continue to pretend I have a “job” other than being a full-time housewife!

Hugs to all!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delightful weekend to me. I think you should consider "adventurer" as your job title and then anything you do in addition can just be added to the job description! Also, I know the cold will be an adjustment but just remember that you will be going back to paradise (as my daughter calls San Diego) in a year, so you can manage anything for a specific length of time. Again, think of us poor folks working in the trenches day after day and revel in the plesures of discovering a new and different way of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found the American Women's Club. They'll really be able to help you with finding things. I'm sure you'll make some great friends too. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you and Dave picked anything more far and away from the Ca. lifestyle? What an adventure, I sure miss our time exploring new countries, places cultures, stores and everything that goes with the excitement of not knowing what you will discover next. Get that Internet connection up and send some pics. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete