Saturday, October 9, 2010

Our First Saturday

OK, I think I spelled “friends” wrong – I think it’s supposed to be “vrienden.”  So sorry, for any Dutch speaking friends I may have out in blogland!
 
Well today was a day of walking and some exploring – mostly areas Dave already knew.  We will venture out farther at a later date.  Not sure how far we walked but did experience more of Amsterdam.  I have to admit though; I am not in love with Amsterdam yet.  I think I had the idea of living in Europe just a little more “glamorous” than it is.  I’m not meaning luxurious and glamorous as say, living the Hollywood life in a mansion (that definitely isn’t me!), maybe I mean a little more intriguing and exciting so I have to say I’m just not quite all “there” yet.  I am sure it will take time and I know I will definitely have to venture out and find some type of hobby or activity to get involved in.  I cannot see myself sitting in this apartment for days on end just reading and writing but then again who knows what the Lord has in mind for me!
 
Today we left our apartment and found a computer/office equipment store that Dave had seen when riding the tram.  He needs to purchase a couple of items so that the communication lines keep moving between him and Taylor in the states.  Then we headed towards the museum district – that area is buzzing with tourist activity and all the museums had lines.  Dave and I will go back on a weekday when it will be a little less crowded.  We then turned the corner at one of the main canals that separates the canal district from the southern district.  Walking along there was beautiful – the water shining in the sun with weeping willow trees along the way.  Of course, bicycles going past in every direction all the time.  On this street we checked out an art supply store that Dave had also seen along one of his tram rides.  Very well stocked and I believe Dave will be just as happy as he was with Blick Art Store in San Diego.  After checking out the art supplies, we headed down a quiet street and came across a cat sitting on a scooter taking a nap and then a café that had a cage out front with a blue headed parrot.  There were people busy talking to the owner and playing with the parrot so I will make that walk again sometime to check it out and take a picture.
 
At the end of this street we came to a little triangle plaza that headed into the Albert Cuyp Market.  Before venturing into the crowd we decided to have a bite to eat.  We sat in a small outside café and we each had a sandwich along with Dave having a beer and myself a “fruitshake.”  The sandwiches were served open-faced on thickly sliced, dark, whole grain bread.  I had ordered the vegetable sandwich and when it came I didn’t think it was correct but thought, oh well, I will try it – it was the Italian tuna and absolutely delicious.  The waitress came by later and said “You like?  You are eating the tuna?  I brought you the wrong sandwich.”  I told her it was perfectly OK and I loved it and will come back and try the veggie sandwich the next time.  She gave Dave a Duval beer glass when he paid the check since she made the mistake.  So we have a new glass!  Ha!
 
After the yummy lunch, we ventured into the market.  Well, I have to say – a blend of farmer’s market and a swap meet!  I liked all the produce stands but the cheap clothes, trinkets, etc. someone else can enjoy!  However, for all of our California friends that thought we were going to miss our Mexican delicacies – we found a large bunch of fresh cilantro for 50 cents and 2 avocados for 1 euro!  So salsa and guacamole, here we come – and yesterday we found a bag of plain tortilla chips!  Dave has it made now – I made him a batch of fresh salsa this afternoon!  I did forget to look for jalapenos but there is such a large ethnic demography here I’m sure I will find some sort of hot pepper to replace them.  Dave brought two bottles of Cholula hot sauce so he will be good until then.
 
On the way back to the apartment, we stopped again at the techno store and Dave is happy he purchased some speakers to hook his iPod up to so we have some music in the apartment.  You don’t realize how much we rely on technology, i.e. internet and cable service, until you don’t have it.
 
Last night Dave enjoyed watching me go through my little translation book trying to pronounce words and making lists of words and stickies to put on doors, windows, etc.  Maybe I’ll give him more of that type of entertainment tonight!  Let’s see, am I Julia Child’s living and learning in France or Elizabeth Gilbert trying to Eat, Pray, Love?

What tonight will bring?  We’ll see!  It’s Saturday night!

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely description! I really can't tell you how much I'm enjoying these. I so wish that I could do what you are doing- the opportunity to just experience someplace new- I know the time will come when you will start working, but for now just soak it all in. It's probably so hard to slow down from life in the states- we never have the time to be in the moment. That's something I'm really working on...mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete