Friday, October 8, 2010

First Four Days in Amsterdam

It is our fifth day in Amsterdam and I’m trying to get adjusted but I think it will take a little while.  I think the thing I wish the most is that I could understand just a little Dutch and be able to read a little.  I have a small translation book but it’s just not extensive enough.
Well, what we have been doing…I will give a quick rundown – sorry, just realized not so quick!
Monday:
We flew into Dusseldorf Germany to pick up a car that Taylor has on loan for a while.  We drove through the farmlands to get to Amsterdam and talk about beautiful.  I’m sure most would compare it to the farmlands in the Northeast of the US – green pastures full of very large cattle, large sheep and horses – windmills and farmhouses – and the occasional new “windmill” like we see in our desert areas of California.  For all my natural food friends, I am sorry about this, but we had a McDonald’s for lunch.  Restaurants are not along the highways here and Dave saw the McD sign and so there we were.  However, they have great coffee – Europe style – very rich and thick.  We arrived in Amsterdam after about 2-3 hour drive and were feeling a little tired but picked up our keys for the apartment and headed over there to drop off luggage.  We stayed in a hotel the first two nights just to get adjusted and make sure we had linens, etc. to live in the apartment.  I took a bath and a long nap!  We then met up with the CFO of Taylor, Barbara, and some prospective employees for Taylor Europe and had a wonderful Italian dinner – gnocchi – YUM!  Then headed to the hotel for a night of sleep.
Tuesday:
Today was pretty much putting most things away in the apartment.  We ventured to IKEA to purchase some items we knew we would need.  However, after being here for a few days I started a list because every day you think of something else that you don’t have!  Our landlord came by to answer some questions and give us another set of keys.  Very nice and said if I ever get lost to give him a call!  That evening we met up with Barbara and had a traditional Dutch dinner – I think Dave sent a photo to some of you – that plate of food in front of me was for all of us and we left half of it (which I hated to do).  It was delicious and “rib sticking” food.  After dinner, we walked back to Barbara’s hotel to have a cup of coffee and make sure we had all paperwork in order for the next day – a visit to the lawyer.  Dave and I took the tram back to our hotel and hit the pillows.
Wednesday:
Today we packed up our bags from the hotel since tonight was going to be our first night in the apartment.  We drove to UPS and picked up our six large boxes that had come from the states.  Luckily they fit in the car!  We then headed to the lawyer’s office.  I have to say Dave has done an excellent job driving around and so glad we have a GPS.  I don’t think we would have found the UPS or lawyer’s office!  He does give me a few scares while driving in the city of Amsterdam.  There are pedestrians and bicyclists everywhere and they have the right of way.  Much different driving than in the states.  Anyway, we met our lawyer, Sandy, and she is absolutely delightful.  She set my mind at ease knowing we have someone on our side to help with all the paperwork for our residence permits and I know Dave and Barbara felt good having her help with the business paperwork also.  Barbara squeezed in between the boxes in our car and we headed back to the city.  We had a delicious lunch at STOUT – I had a caprese type sandwich on thick, wholegrain bread with pumpkin soup!  I will be going back there.  Dave had a meeting in the afternoon so I had my first afternoon in the apartment wandering around, wondering where to put things, what do I still need and what should I do next!  Dinner was simple – sandwiches – but on delicious whole grain bread.  Then our first night sleeping in the apartment.
Thursday:
We slept well and late!  It is dark here until about 7:30 and there are “black-out” curtains on our windows in the bedroom.  Today Dave and Barbara had a meeting with the banker regarding the Taylor business so I was on my own for most of the day.  I tried to figure out the washer – not sure what cycle I am using but the clothes got clean and the dryer was pretty easy.  I figured out all the words on it except one but figured since it was between “Extra” and “Strijk Droog” (Iron Dry) it must mean it’s a regular type of drying cycle.  It worked so I’m OK with it!  I had asked the lawyer (she lives in Amsterdam) if there were any natural markets and she sent me a website with addresses so I found the one closest to our apartment and set out on a walk.  Not sure how far it was but took maybe 15 minutes to get there.  There was a small stationary shop next to it so went in there first to look around and purchase a few things.  Then into the market I went, small but adequate, and I am happy people are accommodating.  I picked up some fresh produce and when I got to the counter to pay, the lady quickly said something to me in Dutch, when I told her, sorry I don’t speak Dutch, she calmed down and explained to me that I have to weigh my produce and put the price tag on it myself.  Similar to Henry’s in CA where you write the number down on your bulk items except that they have a scale that has a bunch of push buttons on it with numbers so – set your produce on the scale, push the button with the number that was on the display where you picked up whatever produce you selected and then push the red button – out comes a little sticker with the name, weight and price.  Great little invention, I thought!  Then when I went back to the counter we had a nice little chat and I told her she would see me again since this was the closest natural food market to my apartment.  After coming home and putting items away, I read a little then Dave came walking in the door.  The two of us ventured down to check out the cheese shop, wine shop and grocery that is just down the street from the apartment.  We met some neighbors and I will elaborate on the shops and people more in my next blog.  I am getting quite wordy and have a whole “exposition” that I wrote this morning that I want to put in my blog!!!  Dinner on Thursday night was made by me – pasta with a little chicken marinated in lemon and garlic, fresh veggies – broccoli, onion, mushroom, tomato and basil – and fresh grated parmesan with some crusty bread.  A glass of red wine and we were set for the night.
I will post photos as soon as we have internet connection.

6 comments:

  1. Tammi, It sounds like you are off to a great start in Amsterdam. Your blog is very interesting as you describe your day. "Hello" to Dave from us.
    Keep blogging.
    sarah s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're settling in nicely!! Can't wait to see photos. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Mommy and miss you. Sounds fun... Hopefully talk to you soon. try to call us tomorrow night which would be our saturday morning if you can. love you love you love you... xoxoxox... Thats from the girls...

    love your son

    ReplyDelete
  4. Need pics of all those places you went and the big cows on the farms and you and Dave, of course. Keep Blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami, you make me feel like I am there. I am so happy for you. Sounds heavenly to me right now. Wish I could be there with you!! Could you imagine you and me exploring Amsterdam??? (Way different from Miami! Ha) Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami, it all sounds so exciting! Thanks for setting up this blog! I will miss you and Dave but this makes us feel like we are part of it all! Many Blessing, love you guys, Nona

    ReplyDelete